Monday, March 27, 2017

                      Rough Theatre

Peter Brook brings up some lovely points in his writing about the "Rough Theatre."
There are certain feelings and atmospheres that cannot be recreated - it is often a feeling that no matter how it is strived for, cannot be artificially made.
Think, for example, of small mom and pop shops, of kitschy little thrift stores and restaurants along the boulevard - they are all unique places. They aren't chains, aren't recreated constantly. They are completely their own. It's beautiful in a way.

My rough theatre probably originated when I was younger. I used to have a cassette video recorder and I would make small movies with my toys. It was a big production and I used to even come up with stories with my cousin. It was fun - very obviously n o t good, but fun to make. Even more fun to watch back and laugh at.

Rough theatre is anything that people pour their blood and sweat and tears into that isn't careful and clean, I think. Film, places, stories... just depends on the medium as to how it is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment